Gator Baseball 2024 Baseball Thread; Gators wasted Caglione, Sullied Sully's legacy

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I don't know whether Sully is lazy or flawed in teaching fundamentals. I coached all of the junior levels including HS ball for 5 years, We were teaching and coaching the fundamentals thru all these levels. My AAU, American Legion and HS teams all were trained to lay down a sac bunt. hit the opposite way to move a runner, sac fly, two strike contact. The ones at the back side of the order who could do this stuff got the playing time. I have never watched a team at this level who is so inept at the nuance and tactics of this game. This post should be put in the current state gator sports thread. Sadly
Joe how long ago was that? The reason I ask is because even my own son's HS team seem incapable of this and the honest to god truth is their coach reminds me so much of Sully and this dude played college ball at Citadel. So I know damn well they had to have had this as part of their game. It's just crappy baseball to watch this mess.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Joe how long ago was that? The reason I ask is because even my own son's HS team seem incapable of this and the honest to god truth is their coach reminds me so much of Sully and this dude played college ball at Citadel. So I know damn well they had to have had this as part of their game. It's just crappy baseball to watch this mess.
fundamentals and classic put ball in play concepts are fading away. all people want to talk about is exit velo on some opposite field homer. laying a bunt down to advance runners to into scoring position followed by a sac fly to push them in is darn near a lost art at this point. as are pitching for location instead of velocity.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
fundamentals and classic put ball in play concepts are fading away. all people want to talk about is exit velo on some opposite field homer. laying a bunt down to advance runners to into scoring position followed by a sac fly to push them in is darn near a lost art at this point. as are pitching for location instead of velocity.
GIF by MLB

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I stopped about ten years back. I like the thrill of a 400 foot HR as much as anyone but the endless string of SO's isn't fun to watch. Just learning how to hit the other way breaks these defensive shifts and it seems foreign to Sully's team. A flawed team.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
I stopped about ten years back. I like the thrill of a 400 foot HR as much as anyone but the endless string of SO's isn't fun to watch. Just learning how to hit the other way breaks these defensive shifts and it seems foreign to Sully's team. A flawed team.
It's kind of indicative of what's coming to be honest. These hitting coaches are teaching lifting and elevating the ball, not actual hitting. Lots of HS kids are not even capable of making solid contact with a pitch on the outer third.....not rolling over....CAN'T MAKE CONTACT. It's so frustrating to watch.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It's kind of indicative of what's coming to be honest. These hitting coaches are teaching lifting and elevating the ball, not actual hitting. Lots of HS kids are not even capable of making solid contact with a pitch on the outer third.....not rolling over....CAN'T MAKE CONTACT. It's so frustrating to watch.
its because more and more coaches are teaching a golf swing technique for elevation as you mentioned. You cant hit an outside pitch, especially mid or high outside with a freaking golf swing; and unless you are really long and athletic, you cant reach a low and outside pitch with a golf swing.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
WTF happened there? There were two on with no outs. 5-3. I had to switch to reply to an email. Come back and there are none on with two outs, then ground out for third out...still 5-3.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine thinking Neely is some lockdown pitcher lol

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
its because more and more coaches are teaching a golf swing technique for elevation as you mentioned. You cant hit an outside pitch, especially mid or high outside with a freaking golf swing; and unless you are really long and athletic, you cant reach a low and outside pitch with a golf swing.
I can

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.