Gator Baseball 2024 Baseball Thread; Gators wasted Caglione, Sullied Sully's legacy

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Exactly why you could not give them extra outs b.c here comes their two best hitters by a mile.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Why does Robertson insist on having an uppercut swing?
Some guys simply won't make the adjustment because that takes work. With his speed if he would just learn to get the barrel in the zone and keep it there as long as possible he would be a really tough out.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Some guys simply won't make the adjustment because that takes work. With his speed if he would just learn to get the barrel in the zone and keep it there as long as possible he would be a really tough out.
According to the head coach

"It's the two-strike approach of putting the ball in play. Anything can happen when you put the ball in play. But nothing happens when you strike out. We've been talking about this a lot and we've been spending a lot of time in batting practice and BP on situational hitting, but you've got to carry it over to the game."

Either the majority of Gator hitters are slow learners or the coaches can only talk about what to do and can't coach how to actually do it based on the recurring results. How can an SEC team have three and four hole hitters who have BA's around 250 and strike out 40% of the time?

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Gators lead 4-2 after 8 innings. Huge infield single by Kurland. All in all Jameson was good in his 4 innings. Tinerc can hit, they know the strike zone and make pitchers work. wish our guys had better strike zone discipline.
They struck out 16 times. Suck it UT.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
i am away so I did not get to see the game. Looks like I missed a real edge of your seat nail biter. Good thing I will miss next weeks series also. Unless of course the team is just rounding into form.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
i am away so I did not get to see the game. Looks like I missed a real edge of your seat nail biter. Good thing I will miss next weeks series also. Unless of course the team is just rounding into form.
i do not believe you will miss anything of import

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Well it is May and we were told to wait until May

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Gators use multiple arms to get a must have win 4 to 1 over USF.

USF's only run was a solo HR.

Cags added another HR.

Need to scratch out 4 wins in the next two weekends.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
According to the head coach

"It's the two-strike approach of putting the ball in play. Anything can happen when you put the ball in play. But nothing happens when you strike out. We've been talking about this a lot and we've been spending a lot of time in batting practice and BP on situational hitting, but you've got to carry it over to the game."

Either the majority of Gator hitters are slow learners or the coaches can only talk about what to do and can't coach how to actually do it based on the recurring results. How can an SEC team have three and four hole hitters who have BA's around 250 and strike out 40% of the time?
I like that he finds that an area that needs work but when you recruit hitters based on the BS on MaxPreps that usually gets downloaded from Gamechanger you aren't really seeing the truth. Somebody's parent is putting that stuff in gamechanger and thats NOT reliable. You have to watch kids play and you have to decide on one games observation if you want to see more and if so..do it. Most of these guys are all or nothing. Do we even have a guy we could call a real solid, contact hitter? Dudes that just freaking grind at the plate every at bat and just refuse to get k'd up? I haven't seen one other than maybe Cags. One ain't gonna do it. And if you didn't see that 2 strike approach in HS, it ain't gonna just magically happen in college. Most don't know this but 47% of AB in college end with a 2 strike count on the batter. Other situations are 50/50. So as a hitter if you don't have a solid 2 strike, you are unprepared 50% of the time. I'd say our 3/4 hole hitters don't have a 2 strike plan "I just hit dingers...huh..huh" Not anymore :rolleyes4:

Last edited:

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
I like that he finds that an area that needs work but when you recruit hitters based on the BS on MaxPreps that usually gets downloaded from Gamechanger you aren't really seeing the truth. Somebody's parent is putting that stuff in gamechanger and thats NOT reliable. You have to watch kids play and you have to decide on one games observation if you want to see more and if so..do it. Most of these guys are all or nothing. Do we even have a guy we could call a real solid, contact hitter? Dudes that just freaking grind at the plate every at bat and just refuse to get k'd up? I haven't seen one other than maybe Cags. One ain't gonna do it. And if you didn't see that 2 strike approach in HS, it ain't gonna just magically happen in college. Most don't know this but 47% of AB in college end with a 2 strike count on the batter. Other situations are 50/50. So as a hitter if you don't have a solid 2 strike, you are unprepared 50% of the time. I'd say our 3/4 hole hitters don't have a 2 strike plan "I just hit dingers...huh..huh" Not anymore :rolleyes4:
Kinda sounds like Sully has gotten lazy, or sumpin' like that...

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Kinda sounds like Sully has gotten lazy, or sumpin' like that...
I don't know whether Sully is lazy or flawed in teaching fundamentals. I coached all of the junior levels including HS ball for 5 years, We were teaching and coaching the fundamentals thru all these levels. My AAU, American Legion and HS teams all were trained to lay down a sac bunt. hit the opposite way to move a runner, sac fly, two strike contact. The ones at the back side of the order who could do this stuff got the playing time. I have never watched a team at this level who is so inept at the nuance and tactics of this game. This post should be put in the current state gator sports thread. Sadly

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know whether Sully is lazy or flawed in teaching fundamentals. I coached all of the junior levels including HS ball for 5 years, We were teaching and coaching the fundamentals thru all these levels. My AAU, American Legion and HS teams all were trained to lay down a sac bunt. hit the opposite way to move a runner, sac fly, two strike contact. The ones at the back side of the order who could do this stuff got the playing time. I have never watched a team at this level who is so inept at the nuance and tactics of this game. This post should be put in the current state gator sports thread. Sadly
unfortunately what we see this year is an every year staple of sully coached teams. we have never been able to bunt, hit to contact, sac fly or anything. its long ball or bust since he's arrived. weve gotten away with it for years because he brings in so much talent but it only take a little slip to go from hero to zero when you're relying completely on the ability to muscle a ball out of the park instead of actual baseball skills and strategy.

sometimes i watch this team and honestly wonder if they get any actual coaching during practices. they resemble a team that gets out there during practice and just goes through the motions. swing bat, field ball, throw ball, repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator