dubster & other Foley bashers won't be happy

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-athletic-director-on-jim-mcelwain-dude-wants-to-win

from the article

"Jim McElwain is the reason for Florida’s 180 degree turnaround from where it was in 2014. While a lot of credit should go to McElwain, an equal amount of credit should be given to Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley. He was the one to take a chance on the coach from Colorado State. Foley hit a home run with this hire, and he said he knew just how good of a guy McElwain was for the job right after Florida upset Ole Miss at home earlier this season."

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Foley still feels the need to try to rehab himself. This is feels like more of the same from that Twitter thing he did with interns feeding him "questions" like "of all the great champion coaches you have hired, which was your best hire?" and "are you still the greatest ever and a shoo in for next SEC or Big 12 commish?"

I have trouble giving him much credit for changing the coaching situation that should have been done two years ago and for fixing the facilities and football operations that should have been done a decade or more ago. In most businesses you can't fail catastrophically in two of your four major projects and keep your job.

Even looking at pics of Fooley's beaver face won't harsh my Magic Mac high. I'm over it. He won't be around for the next hire regardless.

I'm sorry if that wasnt the bombastic post you were hoping for. It's all I have these days.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Pick a side and raise some hell. :lol:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Law98gator;n311029 said:
Foley still feels the need to try to rehab himself. This is feels like more of the same from that Twitter thing he did with interns feeding him "questions" like "of all the great champion coaches you have hired, which was your best hire?" and "are you still the greatest ever and a shoo in for next SEC or Big 12 commish?"

I have trouble giving him much credit for changing the coaching situation that should have been done two years ago and for fixing the facilities and football operations that should have been done a decade or more ago. In most businesses you can't fail catastrophically in two of your four major projects and keep your job. Only in govt would that allow you to make yourself the highest paid in the field.

I'm over it. He won't be around for the next hire regardless.

Even looking at pics of Fooley's beaver face won't harsh my Magic Mac high.

Think about it though, had he made the change with Muschamp 2 years ago, would he really have went after Mac? His Colorado State team finished 8-6 with a bowl win in the New Mexico Bowl.
I think it played out just like it was supposed to.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Impressive. Foley knew Mac was a good hire AFTER the Ole Miss win. That can mean only one thing. I'm AD material.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SGG;n311033 said:
Think about it though, had he made the change with Muschamp 2 years ago, would he really have went after Mac? His Colorado State team finished 8-6 with a bowl win in the New Mexico Bowl.
I think it played out just like it was supposed to.
Fooley didn't hire Mac bc of his 21-16 record at CSU or bc of one good season. Even Chimp had one good season. That obviously doesn't show anything.

He hired Mac bc he was the best offensive-minded HC available in the price point we were willing to pay. It didn't hurt that Mac was in the Saban/Belichick aisle that we've been shopping in since 2010.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Article is not about Foley. There is that one line, from the author, giving Foley some credit. Other than that the entirety is about Mac and what he's done since he's gotten here. This is not a vindication of Foley, nor even a swelling of support for a good hire following the WM debacle. This is a blogger expressing his singular opinion that Foley got this one right based on what Mac is doing. Even the quotes of Foley are not self-serving, they are crediting Mac, so law's comparison to a staged Q&A or other public stunts for his own image enhancement aren't really applicable here. In fact, aside from this blogger, I've not seen or heard anyone crowing about Foley's awesomeness. We're all still a bit burnt about the WM mistakes, despite how good things are going now.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
so long as we don't have a bunch of POS morons protest (and block traffic and act like *******s) to get Foley fired, I'm good

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n311044 said:
Fooley didn't hire Mac bc of his 21-16 record at CSU or bc of one good season. Even Chimp had one good season. That obviously doesn't show anything.

He hired Mac bc he was the best offensive-minded HC available in the price point we were willing to pay. It didn't hurt that Mac was in the Saban/Belichick aisle that we've been shopping in since 2010.

I disagree. He would not have gone after Mac two years ago if he had fired Muschamp in 2013. What Mac did in year 3 at CSU was probably the biggest reason why Foley was interested him. Since Mac's team showed vast improvement every year, that third year proved that Mac could build a program and didn't just have a lucky season like Muschamp did in 2012.

Also, there were many coaching vacancies in 2013 and no one else went after Mac then. No reason to think Foley would have too.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know who we would have gotten if Foley had fired Muschamp a year earlier. Many on this board wanted Strong... What I do know is that Foley seems to have made a great hire. He is 2 for 4 on football coaches and has a great record with all his other coaches. He is an amazing AD and those who think he should be fired should find an AD that has had as much success as Foley across an athletic organization and tell me who that is... I"ll wait.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Law98gator;n311044 said:

Oh I don't disagree with that assessment, but it would've been a helluva lot harder to swallow hiring a coach coming off an 8-6 campaign at Colorado State than when we did get him.

Admittedly, I didn't know much about him when we hired him. I knew he was Bama's OC when they had that great run, but aside from that I didn't know his background.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n311082 said:
so long as we don't have a bunch of POS morons protest (and block traffic and act like *******s) to get Foley fired, I'm good
Did I miss this? Damn. I would have flown in for this.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well Foley must have been frightened with his hire after his hiring the most program-destructive HC in CFB.
Shaking in his boots.

Mac may be a master of psychology … paying his own buyback, putting Foley on the spot for IPF etc. improvements …
plus selling the players on the purging each-self of selfishness, even in off-the-field character,… infusing them with
winning is fun and fun is a one-time pass in their CFB careers. IMO, we are on a take-off flight path of a long nice
journey.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Foley is hands down the best AD in America. Our records and trophies in football basketball and others is way beyond any other program. Bama has a few more football titles during his regime but dont sniff basktball success. Taken as a whole and our financial security we are top 3 all day long..........

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n311203 said:
I have him ranked somewhere between 90 and 110.

I had him ranked as an order taker. Doesn't the UF prez pick out the coach?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.