Fitness advice/suggestions

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I've got to lose some weight. I weighed 234.5 yesterday when I went in for a physical with my primary doctor. He told me that if I don't want to become a diabetic that I have to drop some weight. Two years ago he said I needed to drop 15 pounds but this time he just said "lose weight."

I have thought about going on the carnivore diet but that will be tough to do in my house. I do have questions though such as, can I still eat pork sausage? What about fried chicken? What about hamburger patties (hamburger steak)? Are there any types of meat that are off limits?

Eat all of it. Just identify which of those treats are your favorite, and consider them treats. Toss the bad things you can live without which are usually plentiful since we tend to just eat what’s in front of us. Learn to say no to your cravings and focus on what you need to do to have them on weekends. Your body will eventually live both the reward periods and, believe it or not the deprivation periods. And with a solid exercise routine you’ll find yourself wanting to eat less of those treats even when you do have them. But going cold turkey is unlikely to have any sustainability, especially at this age.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Stop being a p vssy.... I did 250 full squats with a weighted vest, 6 sets of Romanian deadlifts, 6 sets of Bulgarian squats(one legged squats) 6 sets of glute raises this morning before 6AM in 40 minutes and 30 minutes on an assault bike this afternoon.....I have a knee that is bone on bone and sounds like a bowl of Rice Crispys during my leg workouts(needs replacement) permanent lower back and neck injuries and both shoulders will be needing rotator cuff surgery before too long,,,If there is a will there is a way......stop making excuses
87b6766f-9b85-4867-bdee-b57ca09e12b8_text.gif

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I've got to lose some weight

I just wish to echo what others have said. Tho, the fact I've not made the effort for improvement in years may undercut any credibility I may have had at any point.

You HAVE to work the food side of the equation. But make changes you can sustain - this means we aren't crash dieting but making a lifestyle change. Set yourself on a path to health that you will continue after you've reached your goal. Otherwise you are setting yourself up to yoyo back to current state if you return to current eating habits. No sugars is great - now and forever. No carbs is a short gain, but not sustainable as you NEED some intake of them.

Exercise should also be viewed as a lifestyle change - not a short run effort to reach the goal, lest ye fall back to current habits and current health issues. While the rest of us aren't masochists like Crete, there is indeed an endless supply of options by which to burn calories. Some more effective than others, some more painful or boring than others. You gotta find what fits your personality and available time (make time! otherwise there never is enough time), pick something you can sustain and have some options when you feel you plataued or need a change up.

Lastly - don't obsess with things like weighing in daily or calorie counting every bite. Now, the calorie counting may be warranted for the first several weeks/months while you tune and adjust your new lifestyle parameters, but eventually you should be settling into a regular routine of exercise (what kind, how much) and calories (what foods, how much, how often) to where you don't need to measure closely....and don't beat yourself up over setback. Falling off the wagon only means you can start again - failure is when you give up, and if you're still breathing, there's still time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I just wish to echo what others have said. Tho, the fact I've not made the effort for improvement in years may undercut any credibility I may have had at any point.

You HAVE to work the food side of the equation. But make changes you can sustain - this means we aren't crash dieting but making a lifestyle change. Set yourself on a path to health that you will continue after you've reached your goal. Otherwise you are setting yourself up to yoyo back to current state if you return to current eating habits. No sugars is great - now and forever. No carbs is a short gain, but not sustainable as you NEED some intake of them.

Exercise should also be viewed as a lifestyle change - not a short run effort to reach the goal, lest ye fall back to current habits and current health issues. While the rest of us aren't masochists like Crete, there is indeed an endless supply of options by which to burn calories. Some more effective than others, some more painful or boring than others. You gotta find what fits your personality and available time (make time! otherwise there never is enough time), pick something you can sustain and have some options when you feel you plataued or need a change up.

Lastly - don't obsess with things like weighing in daily or calorie counting every bite. Now, the calorie counting may be warranted for the first several weeks/months while you tune and adjust your new lifestyle parameters, but eventually you should be settling into a regular routine of exercise (what kind, how much) and calories (what foods, how much, how often) to where you don't need to measure closely....and don't beat yourself up over setback. Falling off the wagon only means you can start again - failure is when you give up, and if you're still breathing, there's still time.
Great post. In my current state I have no set goals for right now and I'm aware it's allowing a few of my bad habits to creep back in(snacking after dinner and a few more icy cold ones than I probably should)......Is it killing me? No...however I'm also aware that that there are "seasons" in cycle. In other words if I choose to stay on this path I WILL gain weight again.

I'm not the sort of person who easily maintains long term goals....outta sight, outta mind I guess. I know everyone is different so develop a plan that works for you. For me I like shorter term goals/targets. By doing this I tend to push harder to achieve small steps instead of trying to climb every flight of stairs all at once.

Exercising without proper eating will not lead you very far.....in other words you cannot out train a bad diet. But it does make life easier once you set a target/goal since you already have a baseline of strength/fitness. Speaking of which my birthday is about 3 months away and I think it's time to take things a little higher with a new set goal.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Great comments all. FTR, I do exercise on a semi-regular basis. But I rarely ever do any cardio, just resistance training. The problem that I have with that is my work schedule forces me to go to the gym in the mornings and that tends to cut into the amount of sleep that I get. As I said, if I can consistently cut out all breads, sugary drinks, and potatoes plus add a regular, daily walking pegamine, then I know that I can drop the ~30 pounds that I want to. My doctor told me two years ago to drop 15 but I feel that doubling that, to 30 pounds, no only would I look better but I would feel a lot better too. So 30 is my goal. And the hardest part is getting started...

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great comments all. FTR, I do exercise on a semi-regular basis. But I rarely ever do any cardio, just resistance training. The problem that I have with that is my work schedule forces me to go to the gym in the mornings and that tends to cut into the amount of sleep that I get. As I said, if I can consistently cut out all breads, sugary drinks, and potatoes plus add a regular, daily walking pegamine, then I know that I can drop the ~30 pounds that I want to. My doctor told me two years ago to drop 15 but I feel that doubling that, to 30 pounds, no only would I look better but I would feel a lot better too. So 30 is my goal. And the hardest part is getting started...
Start simple then. Calorie in vs Calorie out. You just need to know what you typically put out as a baseline. For example, I'm in the vicinity of 2300 a day, and that's with no formal exercise. So I try to consume no more than 1800 calories and try to maintain a 500 calorie deficit. These numbers can "adjust" if you do more, but maintaining a 500 calorie deficit a day supposedly helps you lose 1 lb per week, and has been roughly that for me.....at least when I stick to it :lol:

I also do intermittent fasting, so only consume calories between Noon and 8pm and I pretty much only drink water anymore (sweat tea is my weakness though, but only ever have it on the few times we go out).

We also do Hello Fresh, but there are other versions, and you could do it on your own as well, but I find that Hello Fresh helps with portion control and reasonable calorie intake with nutritious foods.

All these things have helped me lose weight without having to add exercise. I have gotten more active as I've lost though, which helps along the way, but my point is these are easy changes that require very little to no adjustment to ones schedule.

I've also found that I just can't and don't want to eat as much as I used to in a sitting, which is also a good thing. Many people have a tendency to eat "until they are full", well my full happens a lot quicker now :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.