Mortgage rates

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
That insurance was probably going to go up from that $1800 anyway, even if nothing had changed. Though, maybe not as much as it did.

Well, they had it homesteaded so it only went up marginally every year - not $5k/year. I'm going to look into the deed thing to see if we can claim homestead.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, they had it homesteaded so it only went up marginally every year - not $5k/year. I'm going to look into the deed thing to see if we can claim homestead.
I read it as insurance for some dumbass reason. :lol:

Property taxes would have gone up, probably, but no where near that much. Goon is right, if you can get her back on there

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You should have just done a Ladybird deed originally...would have saved all this hassle and taxes....

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Know the answer before you ask the tax assessors office. They don’t check too closely if she still gets mail there.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
You should have just done a Ladybird deed originally...would have saved all this hassle and taxes....

The biggest issue is she wanted to pay off all the debt and have a cash cushion - so regardless, we needed to refinance it/sell it.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The biggest issue is she wanted to pay off all the debt and have a cash cushion - so regardless, we needed to refinance it/sell it.
Should have just refied and did a Ladybird deed at the same time... we do that all the time.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Genius idea. NOT!

Make it easier for homeowners (who are racking up consumer debt like crazy) to use their home equity as an ATM. When do I recall that happening before? Oh, yeah 2000 to 2005.
Exactly. Fannie and Freddie f'ed up just being in the biz they were set up to be in. I am sure they would excel at 2nd mortgages and HELOC's. Just today I saw a report about the increase # of people applying for any kind of loan they can get. And people do that when they need money not when they want money. And as far as Meredith Whitney goes, she has joined Elaine Garzarelli in the "we hardly knew ye" camp. RIP Elaine. I am still waiting for the muni bond market collapse that Whitney called for. Perhaps she lost her marbles after she married WWE wrestler John Layfield and he shagged whatever sense she had out of her.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I've seen condo prices drop around here (Pinellas County) over the last year - and the HOA's have all gone up. I sold my Ponte Vedra condo in 2018 - I owned it for 18+ years and made just over $100k profit, if I had held onto it until 2022 I would have made another $100k (makes me sick). Condo fees were always reasonable (started at $150/month and were $250/month when I sold).

I think I told you all - I bought my parents house about 2.5 years ago due to my step-father's failing health (dementia). My mother was worried they'd lose the equity if he had to be put into a care-facility. I think it was a bad idea, but in his dementia he ran up a sh*t-ton of consumer/credit card debt (behind my mom's back), like $60k+. So she was able to pay off all their debt and she rents from me. We didn't consider the property tax implications (I already have a homesteaded house in Florida), so their property taxes went from $1800 to nearly $7k (this is in Jacksonville). Well, step-father passed away last Thursday - my sister is in town helping mom, I'm driving up tomorrow to relieve her. Mom turns 80 next month, but in great shape for her age. Anyhow - what to do with mom and the house? That's next. I may end up moving back, but right now sister and I live in SW Florida (Pinellas & Sarasota). I'd like her to be in a townhouse/condo, but these HOA issues and decreasing values are scaring me. She's not ready to move in with either of us (she has a ton of church friends in Jax, so she wants to stay there for now). Step-dad is retired CSX, so she gets his pension and is okay financially.
Condolences @BMF on your loss. I will not offer any advice on how to handle the tax situation etc. I will leave that to Crete. But like me I would say if you choose to buy in a high HOA just make sure the actual price has come down far enough to make it say a wash. I am glad that your mother is in such good health and will only suggest that you continue to take care of her. Keep her where she is happy and it will make things easier for you.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I know, right? I could certainly use the jump in business as I am preparing to retire.
That's 80% of our business over the last 2 years. The good thing for us here in Florida is that a lot of older borrowers have paid off property so being a first it goes into title insurance as well as any 1st or 2nd taken out in a trust,...we also been pushing anything with a UCC, liens of any source or anything needing a deed also into the insurance category. We also upcharge BIG time on multiple CC payoffs too, which we used to do for our flat O&E and closing fee.....Other things we are starting to charge a premium on are RON closings and mobile notary fees.....If there's a will there's a way... :lol2:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That's 80% of our business over the last 2 years. The good thing for us here in Florida is that a lot of older borrowers have paid off property so being a first it goes into title insurance as well as any 1st or 2nd taken out in a trust,...we also been pushing anything with a UCC, liens of any source or anything needing a deed also into the insurance category. We also upcharge BIG time on multiple CC payoffs too, which we used to do for our flat O&E and closing fee.....Other things we are starting to charge a premium on are RON closings and mobile notary fees.....If there's a will there's a way... :lol2:
Yeah, I wanna shoot everyone involved with your line items on the closing statement :lol:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yeah, I wanna shoot everyone involved with your line items on the closing statement :lol:
Breaking Bad Reaction GIF

Truth be told I always give friends and family a special discount on "our" fees, but I must have missed that title request somehow....
Flipping The Bird Middle Finger GIF

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Pay real close attention to the second half of the video especially around the 18.00 mark....I'm telling you guys who are waiting on the sideline are making a YUGE mistake....sh!ts gonna go up another 20-25% once rates go below 6%...look closely at what the lowering effect does to "qualify ability and don't forget the 40 year will be rolled out more and more....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.