The Current State of Gator Sports

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Speaking of the 85 bears. Jim Mcmahon played college at BYU for a guy named Lavell Edwards. His first four years coaching he never won more than 7 games. After his 4th year he began winning and was very successful for many years.

This was all before my time, 1972- into the early 90's so before I was born and until before I cared about football. I just learned about this guy and thought about Billy because his first 4 years were 7-4, 5-6, 7-4-1, and 6-5.

I'm not saying Billy will ever be good but I have never seen that before (or paid enough attention) where a coach started off like poo-poo and then a light switch went off and he started winning championships. Anyone of you older posters have any insight into this guy Lavell? Like how could they have known
Frank Beamer inherited a Va Tech program that was on probation and had reduced schollies, so he was granted some leeway, but in his first six seasons went 24-40-2. No way a coach survives that today. BTW - Over the next 18 seasons he went 185-58.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Speaking of the 85 bears. Jim Mcmahon played college at BYU for a guy named Lavell Edwards. His first four years coaching he never won more than 7 games. After his 4th year he began winning and was very successful for many years.

This was all before my time, 1972- into the early 90's so before I was born and until before I cared about football. I just learned about this guy and thought about Billy because his first 4 years were 7-4, 5-6, 7-4-1, and 6-5.

I'm not saying Billy will ever be good but I have never seen that before (or paid enough attention) where a coach started off like poo-poo and then a light switch went off and he started winning championships. Anyone of you older posters have any insight into this guy Lavell? Like how could they have known
Edwards was responsible for the early air raid offense. Mike Leach and Hal Mumme are credited with the term air raid, but Edwards decided to go pass heavy in the 80s when football was run heavy. He also recruited some great Qbs McMahon, Steve Young, Detmer who helped. Having playing in a smaller conference probably helped, but no one knew what hit them when Edwards decided to chuck it all over the field.

FYI: Leach was a grad assistant at BYU under Edwards.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of the 85 bears. Jim Mcmahon played college at BYU for a guy named Lavell Edwards.
Im sure you could also recognize the difference between the second or third most prestigious university in Utah and how long it takes to win there vs taking something like the flagship program of Florida, Texas or California (distant third) where you have homefield advantage in the most talent rich states in the country, right?

As for how could they have known, it is pretty simple. He was an early adopter of an attacking passing offense, which attracts elite QBs and WRs. He was just the one of hundreds who thought they could win the game by smashing into the line of scrimmage and getting 2 yards at a time. Or winning 17-10 or 12-0 by running the clocking and boring the other team to death.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In case someone thought I was making that up:

Former Chicago Bears quarterback Jim McMahon played his college ball at BYU. In an interview with ESPN Radio on Monday, which Pro Football Talk shared with us, he shared his thoughts on some of the current issues in the NFL regarding illegal hits and the uncertain labor situation. McMahon’s comments on those topics were a yawn compared to what he had to say about the BYU honor code.

“You had to find girls who kept their mouths shut,” McMahon said when asked about how he managed to stay on the field while attending BYU.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Edwards managed to make BYU into a decent program, primarily by finding good QBs and he established a pipeline with Samoan Mormons. They were like Boise State became later - dominant among the WAC programs and they’d occasionally surprise a P5 type program.

In 1984 ESPN really pushed them to be voted national champions with the mantra, “They won all their games.” Yes, they were undefeated and yes they beat #3 Pitt to open the season and beat Michigan in their bowl game. But Pitt wound up 3-7-1 and Michigan ended at 6-6. The rest of their schedule was Hawaii, Wyoming, etc. Total joke.

The best team that year was clearly UF and we were named NC by the New York Times’ computer poll. But we went on probation and were ineligible for a bowl. Washington at 11-1 should have won the NC.

Edwards did a nice job at a remote school for a long time - but at a G6 level.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Im sure you could also recognize the difference between the second or third most prestigious university in Utah and how long it takes to win there vs taking something like the flagship program of Florida, Texas or California (distant third) where you have homefield advantage in the most talent rich states in the country, right?

As for how could they have known, it is pretty simple. He was an early adopter of an attacking passing offense, which attracts elite QBs and WRs. He was just the one of hundreds who thought they could win the game by smashing into the line of scrimmage and getting 2 yards at a time. Or winning 17-10 or 12-0 by running the clocking and boring the other team to death.

Good points, except you’ll need to enlighten us with a list of BYU’s elite WRs. I can’t think of one.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Good points, except you’ll need to enlighten us with a list of BYU’s elite WRs. I can’t think of one.
i dont have time to list all the 1000 yard receivers for you. Do you have google? You should try it.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
i dont have time to list all the 1000 yard receivers for you. Do you have google? You should try it.

Of course I looked. I was actually surprised to see they’ve only ever had a couple of WRs drafted and none who did anything in the NFL. I expected there would be at least a few very good guys that came out of that offense, overlooked by the big programs or late bloomers. But no.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Of course I looked. I was actually surprised to see they’ve only ever had a couple of WRs drafted and none who did anything in the NFL. I expected there would be at least a few very good guys that came out of that offense, overlooked by the big programs or late bloomers. But no.
Marshall had a great offense back then too, but other than Randy Moss, who only went to Marshall do to his multiple arrests, none did anything in NFL. Lower division WRs rarely do but they can still be elite for their level.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

The title is a little misleading. But what I could take out of it is that we have four solid OTs which allows George to move inside. George said in an interview that he was too heavy last year and did not have the energy or the agility to play OT late in games.

He went to Sale during the off-season and asked if he could move inside because he feels more comfortable playing inside. Sale told him that he would prefer that he played OT, but George was adamant about playing inside. So he is now going to be our RG.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
That dude's a hopium salesmen. Hit me up around 3rd week of August. I might be back on the train.

What 3 "number 1 at their position" players did we land? We got another OLine ringer? Awesome.
Yeah, that caught my ear as well.
Obviously, Cormani McClain is 1 of the 3 but Jason Zandemelah, while a "#1 at his position AVAILABLE IN THE TRANSFER PORTAL", could be #2 but I don't know who #3 is. Maybe he's referring to Lagway (his jersey was shown in the video as he's making that statement) but he wasn't #1 IIRC.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

The title is a little misleading. But what I could take out of it is that we have four solid OTs which allows George to move inside. George said in an interview that he was too heavy last year and did not have the energy or the agility to play OT late in games.

He went to Sale during the off-season and asked if he could move inside because he feels more comfortable playing inside. Sale told him that he would prefer that he played OT, but George was adamant about playing inside. So he is now going to be our RG.

Sale thinks George is a fuchsing OT? It makes you wonder if this ignorant dwag reject mofo even watches our football games.

IMO this is a fireable offense. Any doubt about how incompetence of this guy is gone.

However I think the move will be a good thing. I kind of expect that George will perform admirably inside. He actually is pretty good at run blocking and wont be hurt by his extreme lack of range for speed rushes. Our inside/ outside zone scheme wont require him to pull much. Every now and then we run power but it seems to be mostly to the right, which wont hurt him if he us at RG.

Also, I have my doubts about "four serviceable" OTs if they are counting Barber. Frankly only the hilarious attempts of George lining up at RT took some of the edge off the criticism that Barber should have been receiving. He simply isnt an SEC LT and he is barely serviceable as a RT when he gets TE help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.