The Current State of Gator Sports

Gator CPA

Nov 16, 2015
What? You're not hyped for another season in the Swamp? 2024, Year of the Gator, bitches! :chomp:
Frustrated Parks And Recreation GIF

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of the 85 bears. Jim Mcmahon played college at BYU for a guy named Lavell Edwards. His first four years coaching he never won more than 7 games. After his 4th year he began winning and was very successful for many years.

This was all before my time, 1972- into the early 90's so before I was born and until before I cared about football. I just learned about this guy and thought about Billy because his first 4 years were 7-4, 5-6, 7-4-1, and 6-5.

I'm not saying Billy will ever be good but I have never seen that before (or paid enough attention) where a coach started off like poo-poo and then a light switch went off and he started winning championships. Anyone of you older posters have any insight into this guy Lavell? Like how could they have known

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Speaking of the 85 bears. Jim Mcmahon played college at BYU for a guy named Lavell Edwards. His first four years coaching he never won more than 7 games. After his 4th year he began winning and was very successful for many years.

This was all before my time, 1972- into the early 90's so before I was born and until before I cared about football. I just learned about this guy and thought about Billy because his first 4 years were 7-4, 5-6, 7-4-1, and 6-5.

I'm not saying Billy will ever be good but I have never seen that before (or paid enough attention) where a coach started off like poo-poo and then a light switch went off and he started winning championships. Anyone of you older posters have any insight into this guy Lavell? Like how could they have known
BYU's Mormon players were granted two extra years on their eligibility clock for religious reasons (they had to do missions). This gave Edwards a lot of seniors who were 24 or 25 years old. This was an advantage he probably capitalized on.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
At BYU (at least then), having sex on campus was forbidden. Jim McMahon famously said years later that the key to staying out of trouble for it was to do it with girls that you knew could keep their mouths shut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator